Rodney Alexander is a founding member of Alexander Ricks PLLC, and a member of the civil litigation practice.
A former prosecutor, Rodney has over 30 years of litigation experience in state and federal courts throughout the country, including jury trials, bench trials, administrative proceedings, arbitrations, mediations, and appeals. Rodney’s practice includes contract disputes, financial services litigation, automotive dealer litigation, class actions, employment litigation, covenants not to compete, trade secret disputes, unfair trade practices claims, partnership and LLC disputes, and matters seeking injunctive relief.
Rodney developed an early commitment to public service and to pro bono service; commitments that he has maintained throughout his career. From 1998 through May 2000, Mr. Alexander served as an assistant district attorney in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. He represented the Humane Society of Union County, Inc. against the operator of a puppy mill, which resulted in the rescue of 256 dogs from cruel and inhumane conditions, and he regularly represents clients who have been denied health care and basic governmental entitlements.
As the Litigation Practice Area Leader for an AmLaw 100 law firm, Rodney also served on the firm’s Committee on Diversity and Inclusion, chaired the local recruiting committee, served on the firmwide hiring committee, and served on the firm’s pro bono and litigation technology committees.
- Sam Houston University (B.S., 1985)
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 1988)
Rodney was born in Charlotte, North Carolina and is married to a wonderful woman who is a physician and a breast cancer survivor. He and his wife have three children. He is an avid outdoorsman, who loves hiking, camping, boating (canoeing, kayaking, sailing and motor boating), beaching and any legal manner of fishing. Mr. Alexander has camped in many places from Alaska to North Carolina and has summited Mount Rainier.
Litigation Areas of Experience
- Automobile Dealerships
- Banking and Finance
- Business Law
- Business Debt Collection
- Car Dealers
- Civil Seizures
- Claim and Delivery
- Class Actions
- Commercial Real Estate
- Contracts/Breach of Contract
- Estate and Fiduciary
- Finance Leases
- Financial Services
- Injunctions and Temporary Restraining Orders
- Insurance Agency/General Agency
- Professional Malpractice
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Trade Secrets
- Unfair Competition
- Banks and Banking
- Automobile Dealerships
- Building Materials
- Industrial Services
- Health Care
- Financial Services
- Asset Management
- Real Estate
- Sports and Entertainment
Representative General Litigation
- Represent manufacturer in claims against its IT provider for intentionally disabling all of its back-office systems.
- Represent national health system in regards to administrative proceedings.
- Represent former employees in defense of trade secrets and restrictive covenants claims.
- Pro bono lawsuit on behalf of the Humane Society of Union County, Inc. against the operator of a puppy mill. The puppy mill was shut down and 256 dogs were rescued from cruel and inhumane conditions.
Representative Professional Negligence and Malpractice
- Represent partners in large accounting firms in depositions relating to audit issues.
- Represent multinational accounting firm in defense of audit malpractice claims by professional athletes, sports agent and others.
- Represented non-profit organization in accounting malpractice claims against large regional accounting firm.
Representative Automobile Dealer Litigation
- Represent dealers to recover vehicles of which consumers have taken possession pursuant to a conditional delivery agreement but refused to return when credit not approved.
- Represent dealer in misappropriation of trade secrets claims and computer espionage claims against a competing dealer.
- Represent dealer in obtaining injunctive relief to recover from ex-employee and competitor stolen customer data and to prevent future use of stolen customer data.
- Advise numerous dealers on conditional delivery issues under North Carolina law.
- Advise numerous dealers on compliance with N.C. Gen. Stat. § 20-75.1.
- Represent dealer in investigation by North Carolina Department of Justice into alleged unfair trade practices.
- Represent dealers in responding to discovery issued in litigation between automobile manufacturer and second tier supplier.
- Represent dealers in consumer litigation relating to various issues, including, among others: (i) claims predicated on conditional delivery practices; (ii) usury claims; (iii) Truth In Lending Act claims; (iv) unfair debt collection practices act claims; (v) breach of contract claims; and (vi) unfair trade practices act claims predicated on various underlying claims.
Representative Selected Cases
- Martha Avendano v. TT of Independence, Inc., d/b/a East Charlotte Nissan; No. 09-CVS-27316, in the General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
- Peters Auto Sales, Inc. v. TT of Independence, Inc., d/b/a East Charlotte Nissan; No. 11 CVS 2710, In the General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division, Guilford County, North Carolina.
- TT of Independence, Inc., d/b/a East Charlotte Nissan v. Jacourtney D. Watson; No. 11 CVS 13889, In the General Court of Justice, District Court Division, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
- Jeffery Lane Wilson v. TT of Independence, Inc., d/b/a East Charlotte Nissan; No. 10-CVS-1480, in the General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division, Union County, North Carolina
- Lake Norman ST, LLC, d/b/a Carolina Hyundai of Lake Norman v. Ronald J. Barnett, Jr., 11-CVS-16703; in the General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
- Kevin R. Dorton v. Lake Norman ST, LLC, d/b/a Carolina Hyundai of Lake Norman, 11-CVD-01548; in the General Court of Justice, District Court Division, Lincoln County, North Carolina
- Lewis Feimster v. TT of Cornelius, Inc. d/b/a Lake Norman Infiniti, et al.; No. 10 CVS 01722, In the General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division, Iredell County, North Carolina
- Thomas B. Moore v. O.H. Walker Insurance Agency, Inc. and TT of Stallings, Inc., d/b/a Scott Clark’s Toyota City/Scion; No. 10 CVS 8898, In the General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
- Beck Imports Limited Partnership d/b/a Beck Imports of the Carolinas v. Barry Whisnant and Sabates Automotive LLC d/b/a Mercedes-Benz of South Charlotte, No. 06-CVS-18700, in the General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina