Ben practices in the area of commercial litigation with a focus on complex commercial disputes. He uses his experience in both trial and appellate courts to advocate zealously for his clients inside and outside of the courtroom. He seeks to understand his clients' objectives to deliver practical, efficient, and results-oriented guidance through all stages of the litigation process.
Ben has experience representing a wide array of clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to closely held entities in federal and state courts. He has successfully represented clients in industries such as finance, real estate, insurance, healthcare, accounting, and technology.
Ben joined Alexander Ricks as an Associate in September 2019. Prior to joining the firm, Ben was an associate with a Charlotte-based Am Law 200 firm. At his prior firm, he was selected for a special assignment at the Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office, during which he tried dozens of cases to verdict.
Ben has been recognized as a North Carolina Super Lawyers "Rising Star" (Business Litigation) and Business North Carolina Legal Elite "Young Gun" (Litigation).
Ben maintains an active pro bono practice and is an active member of the Mecklenburg County Bar. He currently serves on the Mecklenburg County Bar Judicial Nominating Committee and is a member of the Bar Leadership Institute Class of 2023.
Ben graduated with Distinction from University of Michigan and graduated magna cum laude from Wake Forest University School of Law, where he served an editor for the Wake Forest Law Review and was inducted into the Order of the Coif.
- Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2016)
- University of Michigan (B.A., Political Science, with Honors, 2010)
Honors and Awards
- All courts in North Carolina
- Order of the Coif
- Wake Forest University Law Review
- Staff Member (2014-2015)
- Board of Editors (2015-2016)
- CALI Award: Contracts, Torts, Pre-Trial Practice and Procedure, Business Organizations, Introduction to the In-House Counsel Role, Community Law and Business Clinic, Sports Law, and Securities Regulation
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Ben was raised in Baltimore, Maryland. He enjoys spending time traveling with his wife and daughter, attending sporting events, and hiking around the state with his dogs.
- Representation of financial and insurance services companies in actions involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, and violations of the North Carolina Securities Act
- Representation of IT services company in action involving claims for defamation, conspiracy, and tortious interference
- Representation of developer in action involving challenges to rezoning of 100+ acre development
- Representation of lender in action involving claim for specific performance of a purchase agreement
- Representation of employee in action involving claims to enforce restrictive covenants
- Representation of trust and trust entities in equitable distribution action
- Representation of bank in action involving claims for fraud and equitable subrogation
- Representation of physician and department chair in derivative action involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty, conspiracy, and breach of contract
- Representation of property owner in action involving claims for negligent misrepresentation, fraud, and unfair and deceptive trade practices
- Representation of specialty electronics companies in action involving claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud, and conversion