Louis Spencer’s practice is focused on complex business litigation, shareholder disputes, covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements, contract disputes and trade secret matters. He has tried numerous jury and bench trials to verdict in state and federal courts throughout the Southeast.
Louis regularly handles disputes among members of closely-held companies. He represents both shareholders and company officers or management in shareholders’ rights disputes, derivative suits and fiduciary obligations litigation. Louis also works with financial institutions and loan servicers in connections with loan workouts, forbearance agreements, modification of credit documents, obtaining receivers, foreclosing on real and personal property and representing creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Tulane University Law School, 1999, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1995, B.A.
- North Carolina, 2006
- Texas, 2006
- Florida, 2002
- Louisiana, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1999
Louis is a native of Beaufort, North Carolina and a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Tulane University Law School. Louis is licensed and practices in the state and federal courts of North Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, and Florida.
- Represented industrial equipment dealer in arbitration against manufacturer-supplier for improper termination of exclusive dealership agreement.
- Represented perishable commodity processor and plant owner in federal jury trial against contractor for breach of contract, fraud and unfair & deceptive trade practices.
- Represented logistics company with non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, including federal court action seeking injunctive relief, temporary restraining order and damages for theft of trade secrets.
- Defended employer in federal court jury trial against employee claims for overtime and unpaid wages.
- Represented private equity group with obtaining relief from bankruptcy stay, foreclosure of manufacturing facility collateral with environmental issues and sale of collateral to outside investor.
- Represented property owners in trial to enforce restrictive covenants prohibiting multiple lot subdivisions. Obtained successful ruling from the North Carolina Court of Appeals affirming trial court judgment.
- Represented lender with emergency injunctive relief gaining temporary appointment of a receiver to manage an abandoned commercial office building. Successfully negotiated a loan workout and sale of the office building.
- Represented closely held company with member dispute, membership interest purchase agreement and phantom stock agreement for new key employee.