Mark Hanson joined Alexander Ricks PLLC as a member in 2016. Mark’s practice areas include all aspects of commercial real estate development, as well as real estate-based lending. He has particular expertise in the acquisition, planning, development, leasing, financing, and disposition of shopping centers, and in the planning and development of mixed-use, retail, and residential neighborhood projects. Prior to attending law school, Mark worked for a prominent real estate development/investment firm in Charlotte.
Mark’s clients include both publicly traded and closely-held homebuilders, real estate developers, hedge funds, private equity firms, solar companies, and real estate holding companies.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (J.D., with Honors, 2009)
- Georgetown University (B.A. in Government, Magna Cum Laude, 2005)
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Magazine North Carolina “Super Lawyers”; Rising Star (2014-2019)
- Staff Member, North Carolina Law Review (2007-2008)
- Articles and Notes Editor, North Carolina Banking Institute (2008-2009)
- Valerie A. Earle Award Recipient, Georgetown University (2005)
- North Carolina Homebuilders Association
- National Homebuilders Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
Mark grew up in Charlotte and graduated from Charlotte Catholic High School. He received his bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University and his law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Before joining Alexander Ricks PLLC, Mark was a partner at a 100+ year old, regional law firm in Charlotte.
- Represented national homebuilder in the sale of all assets of multiple divisions to a publicly traded company for $166 million.
- Served as North and South Carolina counsel on an approximately $1 billion merger between two publicly traded homebuilders.
- Represented real estate investment company on a complex 1031 exchange involving the sale of property for a $70 million apartment tower in uptown Charlotte, NC and the acquisition of a multi-tenant medical office complex.
- Represented a national restaurant chain in North Carolina and South Carolina on a securitization involving 129 properties.
- Represented national and regional homebuilders in the acquisition, development and sale of planned communities in the southeastern U.S.
- Represented real estate developers in the acquisition, development and sale of grocery-anchored and other shopping centers (including outparcels) throughout the U.S.
- Represented regional health care providers and affiliated medical groups in negotiation and preparation of leases of medical office space and real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
- Represented developers/operators of major-flag hotels on numerous acquisitions and dispositions in the southeastern U.S.